Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My Little Man's World

On this historical night, my little boy showed me a paper he brought home from school today. It was a magazine type publication trying to explain elections to the young souls that are first graders.

My son weighed his decision heavily, but in the end, had to put his ballot in the box for John McCain based on one key bit of criteria. He listed one of his hobbies as "hiking". Barack Obama listed "basketball". My kid is more comfortable in hiking shoes than hightops, so debates, commercials, and automated phone calls aside, the choice was easy.

However, the reason I share this story with you is to ask for a simple prayer. Tonight, my little boy told me that one of his classmates wouldn't vote for Barack Obama because he didn't have the same skin color as her.

Please pray for our country. Please pray for our decisions. Please pray for my little first grader who told me he didn't like his classmate's logic. If you could lift Jeff and I up in prayer, along with the parents of that little girl, I would appreciate that, too. We are shaping the minds of these future voters, and I continue to pray for guidance.

2 comments:

Mynde said...

It is still a scary world that we live in, that's for sure. If only there were some way to make it 'easier' for our youngins..... We can just continue to pray.

On another note- at least your school offered something for the kids to review prior to voting. Allyson's class was offered no info, no ideas, no background, no hobbies at all- just a ballot and a pen 'time to vote'. I asked why she picked who she picked- 'I don't know'. Great, another generation of uninformed voters : )

Rebecca said...

I guess being a Christian should help us all realize it's OK to be in the minority sometimes.Jesus was in his day too!
I pray for your family and the little girls. Also for all of the folks who hang there hopes on one man solely for the color of his skin as well.
It's a mixed up world some days but it's ours!