Friday, June 20, 2008

Happy Anniversary to Us


In case my husband reads this (which I don't think he does!), I want to wish him a happy anniversary. We've been basking in wedded bliss for a complete decade. Holy mackeral...how in blue blazes did that happen?!?!?
He really is the best thing that has happened to me -- ever. I knew from the moment I met him that we'd be married. I know where on the Bloomington campus we were standing (in the parking lot of the football practice field during homecoming weekend our freshmen year). I can tell you who was standing around (his roommates and my next door neighbor from the dorm). I can even tell you what he said (absolutely nothing more than "hi").
It took some doing on my part -- I tried to give him my number during our sophomore year when we took a biology class together, and he tried to give it to his roommate -- but I finally caught him, hook, line, and sinker.
He is single handedly the most patient, giving, loving, caring, smart person I know. It's frustrating as all get out when I am *cough, cough* not patient, not in a mood to give another inch, not feeling particularly loving toward the world, not caring about anyone else's needs, and my brain cells are leaking out of my head at a record pace. But that's what makes us a great team -- he's the ying to my yang, the up to my down, the east to my west. My perfect partner, and the inspiration of what I want to be when I grow up.
The last few years have been a challenge -- we have three kids under the age of six, for crying out loud!! We feel like two ships passing in the night, and by the time the night rolls around, the captains are sound asleep. However, the common goal is this: We are going to raise this family with God's guidance (even if it kills us), we are going to retire and enjoy each other's company, and we're going to do it together. That's it. All the other stuff can just fall into place -- or not -- doesn't matter. We're good, as long as we're together.
He's my partner, my biggest cheerleader, my best friend. He's awesome. (And right now, he's snuck out of the house to get us ice cream from the Frosty Boy!!) That's why I love him.

No comments: