Friday, August 22, 2008

Ahhh (that is the sound of a content woman)

I just got back from a Joyce Meyer conference at Conseco Fieldhouse. I really enjoy Joyce Meyer, but I've not been very good about watching her or listening to her on a regular basis. For one thing, she's not on PBS, and the other thing is that the channel she is on doesn't regularly come through at our house. But when I do listen to her, I find her incredibly refreshing. She's got a very good message and she delivers with it tons of humor.

Anyway, I went to Conseco to attend one of her conferences. It started with Matt Redman and his band. Thanks to my church-touring summer, I knew some of the songs. Score! It's very interesting to me to watch a nearly full house at Conseco start to sing, praise, and just generally love God. This is where I get weepy. And this, my friends, is why you'll never be invited to attend with me. I hate the idea of even inviting Jeff (although he'll hear all of the itty-bitty details for the next two weeks). I told him if he goes, he can't sit with me. I can't stand to be weepy around the people that I love.

So, after the opening band stuff, Joyce's husband, Dave, came out to give a presentation on patriotism. Interesting stuff, but not why I'm there, so I patiently wait...

After that, there is an offering collected. There wasn't a presentation about her overseas ministry today, but I've heard it in the past, and it's amazing the different things they have set up here and around the world.

Finally, Joyce comes out for the main purpose. I think her message only lasts 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, but I think I could listen to her all day. This morning's message was about being satisfied, and the general idea was that if you're not satisfied with what God has planned for you and given to you in this space and time, who are you to demand more? She even brought up how do you feel when you do all you can for your kids, and the little ingrates whine all of the time (uh, hello, there...) That's how God feels, too.

This is not to say that we should just wait for God to give us our "dues", because really, we deserve nothing. Only by God's grace, do we have anything at all. We should keep striving for success in our lives, but we have to deal with the here and now with grace and be satisfied. She reminded us all, that no matter how bad we think we have it, someone in the world has it worse than us, and God has that under control, too.

Of course, she said it much more humorously and effectively than I ever could, but that's because God gave her this gift of communication. I have the gift of....anyone? anyone? I'm not sure, yet. But God knows, and in the meantime, I will make peace with my minivan, I will embrace the disgusting carpet in our living room, I will not complain (as much) about the messes the kids make.

Of course, I knew all of this (Mom's MS and how she has handled it over the years has taught me A TON about this), but it's nice to have the refresher course along with thousands of my closest friends in attendance. I think each person comes out a little bit changed, even if only for a little while. As we were filing out, some woman started complaining about the steps at Conseco, but stopped herself, because she didn't want to complain. Another started in about the freezing temperatures in there (I believe meat packers were warmer today), but she reminded herself and her friends that there are lots of places where people are way too hot for their own good. At least if people got across town without cutting each other off, mission accomplished.

If ever you get the chance to attend something like this, I strongly encourage it. In this case, it is totally free (except for the parking lot). I feel like a totally refreshed person. To illustrate, Maddie spotted the necklace I wore to the conference, and I handed it to her while I was telling Jeff about my morning. It's nothing like I've ever worn before, and I only have it because I hosted a jewelry party last year. Anyway, long story short, Miss Thing managed to break one of the strands of beads. I didn't lose it; I didn't pout. I helped pick up the bigger beads and supervise the sweeping of the carpet. Then I cut off the fishing line that originally held the beads, and realized that I liked the necklace for myself a LOT better with only one strand of beads. That's being satisfied with what's given to you, and finding the small joys in every situation.

Ahhhhhh. Feels good.

(Oh, and there's another post below that is more about our daily life with pictures, Grandma! Just didn't want you to miss it.)

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Aww Maddie all loverly in the driveway how sweet. I am loving your floral shot and the ducks. Great shots!I am glad the conference was good. I agree even if it changes folks for a day it's a great great thing!

Mynde said...

Someday I will get to go to the Joyce Meyer conference too. Why in the heck did she have to come THIS weekend?