Saturday, August 16, 2008

Little Men


Today was Baby Nick's fourth birthday. Recently, he told me I can no longer refer to him as "Baby Nick". He is to be known as "just Nick". Uh, yea, right. In trying to get Cooper ready for his little brother, we started to call him "baby Nick" before he was even born. Cooper would introduce him to strangers at the mall with those words, and I'm afraid he'll always be called "Baby Nick"...no matter how big he gets.

And he is getting big. I can literally see him growing before my eyes. He started preschool this week...he's bonding with his little sister and taking on the oldest brother in the house role like a champ...he is just growing.

What a funny kid. His goal in life is to have fun. At any cost. Potty humor, knock-knock jokes, slapstick -- it's all fair game. And watch out if his eyes turn really blue. That means trouble is coming, and usually it's at someone else's expense.

Anyway, happy birthday to my baby boy. He asked me if I was going to miss cuddling with the three year old, but reminded me that cuddling with a four year old could be more fun. Then he consented that only *I* could call him "Baby Nick", but not to do it in front of others. Growing, I tell you.

As an added bonus to birthday celebrations, favorite nephew number two decided to jump into the world last night around 10:00. Meet Luke Ronald (think my dad is thrilled with that name??) I got to go snuggle him tonight. He's definitely a keeper.

Brayden is going to be a great big brother. He spent the night over here last night, and practiced on Maddie by bossing her around. You'd better believe Miss Thing didn't put up with that for very long! It was fun to watch, though. At the hospital tonight he kept referring to Luke as "it" and "her". He's got some adjustments to make! At least he's acknowledging there is a baby. This morning, when we told him Mommy had the baby and he was a big brother, he kept looking at us like we were nuts and saying "No". It's a lot to process when you're two and a half.

2 comments:

Mynde said...

Happy birthday big gigantic boy Nick! What a cool thing, this motherhood- ya know? Kind of hurts sometimes though- like when you see your 'baby' getting so big. Wow, 4 years old.

And so glad to hear that Brian and Janelles baby is here and perfect. How lucky are you- to have 'babyness' available at your every whim again!

Rebecca said...

Wow and I thought my weekend was busy.I am quite impressed with Nick's "Big Boy" abilities with Maddie too.
Brayden is growing too. He is a cute litle stinker. I'll bet he will figure out all too soon the love of a new baby brother too.I'm so happy you had a wonderful weekend and Congratulations "Aunt Ronda"
OH and BY THE WAY
I am highly offended that you NEVER call me for a cake. I did one for Julie on Friday for Marilyn's 50th and even delivered it when I picked up Bella. You should give me a try sometime ya know.