Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Off and Running






And so it begins. Today was the first day of first grade for Cooper and the first day of preschool for Nick. That is entirely too much emotion in one day for me. I am not a weeper. I just am not. Today, I was. No kids saw tears, though. Score one for the mommy!

Nick liked preschool. He was excited up until we pulled in the parking lot, then he got pretty nervous. I ended up leaving him in the middle of the room crying. However, in typical Nick fashion, he recoverd and played like a champ. He's been telling us all of the cool stuff he did today...played with play-doh, rode on the tricycle merry-go-round, sang some songs, read "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie", checked out the pet frog, etc., etc. I think we learned more today about Small Miracles than the whole two years Cooper attended.

First grade was also a hit. The biggest hang-up was lunch. We own a brand new lunch box, but I wanted Cooper to eat the school lunch and learn the workings of the cafeteria. Plus, I figured it would be cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets, or pizza for the first day. What I didn't guess was chicken quesadilla. He is not a fan. Needless to say, he ate a great supper! The rest of first grade was good, too. He had a bit of homework tonight, but that's a good start to a routine. I think Mrs. Sparks is all about routine from what I've heard. I'm hoping we learn more about first grade in the coming days. Cooper is not much on sharing his day's events.
I guess if he doesn't fill us in, we only need to wait a few years, and Nick will let us know what happens!

2 comments:

Mynde said...

Wow, both their first days on the same day. What a low blow to the mommies! Glad to hear it went well, it's hard to believe!

Rebecca said...

Now you might get 5 minutes every now and then for just you and Maddie. What will she do all alone at church on work days?