So, I've been church hopping this summer. I say I'm going to do it each summer, and I just never take the opportunity. Well, this was my summer (or at least half of it). I'm not looking to switch churches, it's just that I want to see how other congregations operate. I've been attending ours since birth, and I like to switch things up every 30 years or so.
Here's where I've been:
Rocklane Christian Church
In all fairness, this is where my brother and his family attend. However, I have to say it is hands-down my favorite all time church. Everything there seems so real. They are in love with the Lord there and not afraid to show it. I'm not talking Bible-beating, falling on the ground love, but just real honest to goodness love. I've watched my brother take huge leaps in his faith over the few years that he's attended there, and I want that, too. I know how involved our family gets in churchlife, though, and this is just too far away for us. However, if ever we move to the southside (not likely at all), that's where we're going.
Indian Creek
This is the biggest church in the immediate area, and honestly, lots of people are afraid of it. I don't think a church of this size is for me, but the preacher I heard, Dr. Gary Johnson, gave the best sermon I've ever heard. It was more like a scripture disection, but it was awesome. Of course, as large as that church staff is, chances are that preparing a Sunday sermon may be his only major responsibility. Really, I don't know, but it seemed that it took all of his energy to present that sermon, and he didn't hesitate or stumble over any words. As for the church itself, it is kind of cool to be in a service where there are soooo many people worshipping. Very powerful. I didn't even attend a very populated service, it seemed. I saw in their bulletin that they have over 3,000 people on a given Sunday, but the service I was in was early, there was no childcare, and mostly attended by older people. I'm guessing that their main services are wall-to-wall people.
Brookville Road Community Church
This one is closest to us, I think, and they just went through a major renovation that added a play land similar to the ones at McDonald's or Chick-fil-A that is very appealing to the kids, but I can't say I loved it. On the particular Sunday that I was there, most of the main ministers were at camp or on a mission trip, so the minister that spoke had lots to say, and one Sunday to say it. His sermon was all over the place. No biggie. However, attending worship here was like sitting in the batcave. The worship center was cold and dark. Occasionally, they would turn off all the lights and the only light was from the video screen. Asthetically, (which I know is silly), it just wasn't comfortable. And if I'm not comfortable, then I'm distracted. I'll have to try this one again. Hopefully, I'll have a better experience. Their literature, was interesting, though. They call themselves The Heart Institute. I'm not really sure why. The literature also really outlined their men's ministries, and to get a list of the women's activities, please contact Ms. So-and-So. They are also very proud of the churches they've planted...seven so far into their goal of 100. Wow. I don't know what to make of that. It's so far removed from my understanding of how a church works, I just don't even want to comment on it.
Today I attended New Palestine United Methodist
I was super excited to go here. Looking at their website, they have just built a new multipurpose room, and have lots of things planned for it (aerobics, dance, Zumba classes, basketball, exercise room, walking track)...sound familiar? I was expecting a living, breathing, excited congregation and worship. Um, not what I got. I got the same thing in our church, just with different people. Their service is laid out exactly like ours, and their minister's sermon was one I've "heard" before. It almost felt like they were going through the motions of a Sunday morning. Again, I attended the early morning service (traditional) and their "contemporary" service is later, but like our church, the two services share a single bulletin...so how different could it really be? I don't know...I didn't go to the second service, but now I'm curious. I hope and pray this isn't what we're to become...a church with cool facilities, but no spiritual "umph". And it's not fair for me to judge this church on one service in August (as a matter of fact, that's what the sermon was about...not judging), but it didn't make me feel alive. Know what I mean?
So here are the exceptionally interesting things I saw at each church
Rocklane: Youth Sunday, and they have an extensive puppet ministry put on by their youth. They were GOOD. I don't know how you book them or even if they are bookable, but it would be a great thing to see for a Kid's Kingdom at our church.
Indian Creek: No one talked to me except a girl I went to high school with. But in a church that large, how could you know if someone was a visitor, or helped opened the front doors for the first time? I thought I had my "deer in headlights" look on, but it didn't help.
Brookville Road: They don't pass an offering plate. They have constructed a slot (much like a night deposit box) that you put your offering in. I'm still thinking about that one. Security wise, very smart. Giving wise, I don't know. I saw people putting their envelopes in the slot, but I didn't run over there with my offering that I had ready.
New Palestine United Methodist: Their scripture lesson was presented with a video. It was a canned production that looked a whole lot like "The Ten Commandments" or something along those lines. It was interesting, and I heard the scripture in a different way than I've heard that particular scripture before.
All of the churches, with the exception of New Palestine United Methodist, did not have Bibles or hymnals. Everyone brought their own Bibles and used screens for songs. New Palestine was also the only church to run through announcements and use a bulletin. Otherwise, I'm guessing you get information from websites and emails? I have to say I like *just worshipping*. I get very bogged down in our announcements at Zion, and it puts me in a foul mood.
I'm hoping to still get to some other churches in the area before Sunday school starts up again. I'm running out of Sundays!! This really has been a fun experience, and I have some ideas to bring back to our church.
2 comments:
I am glad to see you are one handedly trying to improve our services.I do think we are moving towards some change since the bookeeper job passed today. I really really would like to go try some other churchs as well but with our travel coming up again it's nearly impossible.Two that I'd like to try are Burge Terrace Baptist and Post Road Christian. I have a pastor from each one that lives on either side of me. I would love to check them out so if you can add them to your list ,I'll try and join ya. By the way I am so happy Miss Maddie Mae decided to journey into new horizons with the sippy cup!
As long as you come 'home' to zion when you are done, that will be fine!
Post a Comment